Society must acknowledge that some cannot care for themselves

In this post-"third way" era, with record low welfare recipient
rolls and a booming economy, I would second Dana's comments.  The
Social Security (SS) reform discussion should be founded on social
values which uphold human dignity.  It would be foolish to do this
in one-offs:  we should consider the ripple effect upon other social
programs, workers, business, and health care to coordinate resources
and avoid shoring up one program at the expense of other urgent
needs.

It is easier in this time of unprecedented economic prosperity to
forget that some of our fellow citizens are simply unable -- due
to health, psychological wellness, the cycle of poverty and rascism,
etc. - to care for themselves.  These brothers and sisters are not
only the elderly, but, children, the underemployed, working families,
and, many others.

SS reform must be committed to considering how changes may impact
various groups - not just the elderly.

Lisa