Investing in Stocks

Can U.S. be as bold as..... Sweden?

As we approach the end of this forum, I'll leave you to ponder what the
Swedes have done to reform their social security system.  No, they haven't
gone the route of pumping up their trust funds with government IOUs to be
made good by future taxpayers, as President Clinton and some others have
proposed.  Nor have they gone the Chilean route, moving to full-scale
personal accounts designed to replace their retirement program and provide
for private disability and life insurance too.  They have, however, already
accomplished what President Clinton--and apparently a fair number of members
of Congress--feel is either too bold ("radical") for, or quite unnecessary
in, the United States.  Sweden has already adopted and is now implementing a
law whereby workers will invest 2.5% of the payroll tax in private,
self-directed investment accounts.  Workers will select the fund of their
choice--any fund (whether operated by Swedish companies or international
companies) that is licensed to do business in Sweden and registers with the
government to manage personal account funds.  No onerous fee caps.  No
portfolio restrictions.  No rate of return guarantees.  Flexible
retirement/withdrawal options.  In short, none of the "necessary
complications" opponents of personal accounts tell us would be necessary in
the United States, where we have financial markets that rival any in the
world and where a large segment of the working population is already
experienced with investing either directly or indirectly through their
company pension funds.  Sweden has adopted an administrative structure that
involves a larger role for government than I believe is necessary or
appropriate (similar to the Thrift Saving Plan for federal employees), but
this is of secondary importance to the fact that they have given workers the
opportunity to build real owned wealth through their social security program.

Sweden also has revamped its basic retirement program, making benefits
strictly proportional to lifetime earnings and adjusting those benefits to
reflect an interest factor, similar to the way a defined contribution plan
works but without the assets (or private ownership).  When a worker reaches
retirement, benefits will be adjusted to reflect the life expectancy of his
or her cohort, similar to the way private annuities work--if life expectancy
has risen, monthly benefits will be reduced to keep lifetime benefits roughly
the same.  Projected benefit and tax costs have been reduced significantly.

Our policy makers should aspire to be so bold!

Carolyn Weaver