Investing in Stocks

The Benefits of Ownership

Why is owning a personal retirement account better than participating
in Social Security?

Just ask Bob Tilaro, a utility supervisor for the City of San Diego,
who participates in San Diego's system of personal retirement
accounts instead of the Social Security system:

"Ours is a real retirement program, where you watch your account
grow and know it's going to be there. I hear talk about Social
Security-about whether or not there is going to be enough money in
the future-and am glad I'm not a part of it. There is no guarantee
with Social Security like there is when you actually own your
money."

"It's your money, your choice, your future."

>From the Cato Institute Project on Social Security Privatization
Daily Comments May 10, 1999.