Investing in Stocks

Questions Regarding Private Retirement Savings Inequities

What a great discussion!  I just have a couple of questions for Ms.
Weaver and Mr. Reischauer if it is not too late.

I agree with Mr. Reischauer that risk and volatility belong in private
retirement accounts and company-sponsored plans.  The question then
becomes why we are not maximizing our private retirement savings
opportunities.  Why are workers who are not covered by defined
contribution plans or defined benefit plans limited to a $2,000
maximum IRA deductible contribution?  Why shouldn't these workers be
able to fund their retirement savings at the same level as those who
are offered a 401(k)?  Shouldn't we have automatic payroll deductions
for IRA contributions similar to a payroll salary direct deposit-- the
technology is certainly there and this would make it a lot easier for
the average worker?

Considering that the assets of defined contribution plans are derived
primarily from rank and file employee contributions why does ERISA not
require non-executive employee participation in plan provider and
investment selection proportionate to their assets in the plan?  This
would ensure that plans offered not only meet the employer's
requirements but also give equal weight to employees' retirement
goals, financial objectives and investment philosophies.

How would the investment strategies outlined for either personal
accounts or proposals to invest a portion of the Social Security trust
fund address the issues and concerns of investors who currently choose
only to invest with funds which apply screens tailored to match their
beliefs, personal values and societal concerns?

Thank you,

Luita Persyko