Investing in Stocks

Unfunded Liabilities and General Revenues

	Unfunded Liabilities and General Revenues
	Re: Reischauer "Social Insurance or Mandatory Individual Saving?"

Unfunded liabilities and general revenues--an interesting and important
topic, although not directly related to market investment.  Bob Reischauer
says we have an unfunded liability to contend with because Congress decided
to give early cohorts "more adequate" social security benefits than they had
paid for, in an actuarial sense.  This is true, of course.  What he doesn't
say is that we have an unfunded liability as large as we do because Congress
decided over and over to give more people more and more "adequate" benefits.
That is, beginning in 1939 (before any monthly benefits had ever been paid
under the 1935 Act) and continuing through the 1970s, Congress increased
benefits at every opportunity.  Such opportunities presented themselves when
social security appeared a bit more flush than expected--even while the
system was operating with a huge unfunded liability.

A good case can be made--and long has been made, beginning with Nobel
Laureates Milton Friedman and James Buchanan (my mentor and former professor
in graduate school)--for general-fund financing the unfunded liability.  This
liability was not accumulated on behalf of today's workers or with their
implicit or explicit consent; the burden of financing should not be borne by
them alone.  The cost should be spread across the population and over time.
Friedman and Buchanan made this pitch in the context of phasing-out the
system we have and replacing it with, in effect, a law to save for
retirement, or what today would amount to a system of mandatory personal
retirement accounts.  General revenues would be used to pay benefits (i.e.,
the liability accrued under the old system) in the transition to the new
system.

Friedman, it should be noted, has long endorsed paying off the liability and
terminating social security, period, on the grounds that people are perfectly
able to decide when and how much to save.  He did, however, endorse
Buchanan's proposal, which was published as an editorial in the Wall Street
Journal, co-authored with Colin Campbell, in 1966.

It is interesting to see that Bob Reischauer agrees with Buchanan and
Friedman that the unfunded liability should not be financed by workers
through the payroll tax and that it should be financed instead by general
revenues.  He does not, of course, agree that social security should then be
"privatized."

Here I would bring attention to a slip in Bob Reischauer's argument.  He
states that general revenues should be used to meet unfunded benefits in the
transition to a privatized system and then suggests, erroneously, that this
is the approach taken in the Feldstein proposal and the proposal offered by
Cong. Archer and Cong. Shaw, which is modeled after it.  In fact, Feldstein
proposes establishing personal accounts that are layered on top of our
current system and funded with general revenues.  This proposal bears no
resemblance to the kinds of reforms we have been discussing.

As to the Clinton proposal and Bob Reischauer's suggestion that the President
has in mind (or did, in fact, propose) compensating the trust funds with
general funds on behalf of the excess benefits paid to early cohorts, this is
preposterous!  President Clinton proposed making general-fund transfers to
the trust funds--and I applaud Bob for acknowledging this, since many
advocates of the President's proposal do not--but there is absolutely no link
between these transfers and the size of, the financing of, or the repayment
of the social security debt.  The President's proposal would simply make
social security's financial position look better, since more revenues would
be credited to the trust funds (while the rest of the budget would look
worse).  Nothing would prevent Congress, a few years down the road, from
providing "more adequate" benefits to those deemed particularly deserving,
perhaps the old, old or elderly widows or other groups with
higher-than-average poverty rates or perhaps divorcees and others who do not
fare so well under the current system.  (Bob doesn't mention that to be
eligible for benefits as the divorced wife of a retired worker, you have to
have been married 10 years or longer and most marriages that end in divorce
do not last that long.)  Nothing would prevent Congress from using those
funds to bail out Medicare or finance a new prescription drug benefit or a
new long-term care program.

Bob Reischauer's colleague at Brookings, Henry Aaron, has gone further and
characterized the President's proposal as comparable to issuing "recognition
bonds"--bonds that recognize social security's debt or unfunded liability.
This is even more preposterous because it draws on the language of the
Chilean privatization program, under which there actually are recognition
bonds (or certificates).  These instruments promise to pay workers who opt
into the new investment-based system the benefits they are owed under the old
system.  The link between the government (and its debt to the worker) and the
worker (and the promise to pay that he or she receives) is clear and direct.
Under the Clinton proposal, no bonds are issued in the name of anyone.  There
is no link between monies flowing into the trust funds and the repayment of
anything.  The President would have had an interesting proposal, indeed, if
there had been.  Such a proposal would have put "on the books" the
government's unfunded social security liability (what Buchanan once described
as a covert or hidden debt), clearing the deck to allow the nation to
confront the question before us: on a going forward basis, whether to impose
on workers higher taxes than needed to pay current benefits under our current
quasi-pay-as-you-go system in order to generate funds that the government can
invest directly in stocks or whether to allow workers to invest their taxes
in fully-funded personal accounts.

Bob Reischauer's final comment, that he believes a fully funded social
insurance scheme is the best way to provide retirement income, is worthy of
particular note.   He's the only one I know, among scholars and policy
analysts, who holds this view and also endorses centralized investment.
Others who hold this view have endorsed personal retirement accounts as the
only practical way to manage the investment of such huge sums.  (Harvard
University's Martin Feldstein, mentioned above, falls into this category.)
Surely Bob would agree that the government is thoroughly ill-equipped to
manage assets of $8-$9 trillion or whatever the going figure is for social
security's unfunded liability.

Finally, there is a presumption throughout that the choice confronted by
policy-makers is either-or.  Either social insurance or mandatory savings
accounts with no social insurance component.  I feel strongly that the social
insurance--or welfare-redistribution--functions of social security should be
handled separately from the pension-saving functions and should not be
allowed to affect the design and operation of personal accounts, threatening
to politicize that which should be grounded in private ownership and shielded
from politics.  However, nothing about "privatization" precludes the
possibility of achieving redistributive goals in other ways.  Chile "tops up"
the accounts of workers who reach retirement with low account balances.
Every major proposal in Congress for large personal accounts includes some
type of new safety net.  What's important is that the redistribution be
explicit and separately financed.

Carolyn Weaver