Investing in Stocks

RE: Responses/Questions to Mr. Reischauer et. al.

>From: Michael Jones

Wrong again Michael. By statute, the interest rates on the SSTF bonds consist of the 'weighted average' of the most recent Treasury public auction of bonds with the same maturity. The same 'weighted average' that is used for bonds purchased by individuals with 'non-competative' bids at the public auctions.

Nope. They cannot spend it for anything else, just like you pointed out above. It does not affect the appropriations process at all, so what you propose would make no difference whatsoever. Treasury bonds are Treasury bonds, whether directly borrowed for current expenditures or retiring maturing public bonds.

No. Wrong again. The Trust Fund has preserved prior excess tax receipts for the 'lean years' ahead.

Well, you are wrong again. Where the excess SS contributions are invested has no affect on future debt, interest or tax liabaility. Excess SS tax receipts do not create liabilty. No more so than Vanguard does when they invest in US Treasuries. Excess spending of the general fund does that. I'm not sure why you have so much problem with that simple concept.