RE: Kolbe-Stenholm--Women & Children

Ms. O'Connor,

Thank you for passing along the positive comments of your Library Group about the Kolbe-Stenholm plan. Although the primary focus of our legislation was restoring the fiscal soundness of the Social Security system, we also sough to improve the equity of the system. We spent a great deal of time considering the treatment of women under the Social Security system and considering alternative approaches to address the unique concerns of women. We considered several options that had merit but decided not to include them in our proposal because they had too many unanswered questions. I believe that the final package we put together does accomplish our goal of improving the equity of the system for women.

Congressman Charlie Stenholm