The BIG PICTURE

IF I was under 50 years of age, I would be buying gold because
these proposals to save Social Security are just a bunch of
diddling that will need to be "fixed" again and again into the
next millennium.  The two BIG problems are: Nobody wants to pay
the premiums until they become in need of help; and There is a
need for a LOT more money to pay for "adequate" benefits.  By
adequate benefits, I don't mean "poverty guidelines".  When we
discuss retirement, we have to include health care.  Either provide
the health care or the money to pay for it.  Since nobody wants
to pay the premiums, then the nation will have to pay up to provide
for those who miss the brass ring.  This requires a new tax system
that taxes our GNP to pay for providing for our societal responsibilities.
At age 30-50, we live confidently that catching the brass ring is
a snap and only laggards and louts will fall short.  But then, at
ages 50-70, fate pulls the rug out from under many of them unexpectedly.
FIRST, if I had to depend on any of these proposals to support the SS
Plan, I would back off and replan the plan and how to pay for it.
We need NEW 21st Century thinking more like insurance rather than
more tax deferred savings plans; private or otherwise.