<Previous> -by subject-Next>

"privatization" of Social security

I have yet to read every item on this most valuable contribution to the discussion of what to do about Social security for the future. It seems to me that the costs of privatizing SS are too great. The current system costs about 1/2 of 1% to operate; projections for private operation of SS run much higher. This part of SS is not broken. I understand that curent privatizing proposals include a guaranteed level of benefits for those who aren't successful in managing their own assets. That level has yet to be defined, but it will certainly have to approach current levels. When you consider the number of people in this country who can barely read a newspaper, it is hard to imagine that this approach will be anything other than a disaster for most people.