DIGITAL DIVIDE?

Hi - I think that bridging the digital divide should be about
doing the most with what we have, not putting tons of public
money into buying more computers that put more into landfills
causing more toxic problems and the like.  An example.  I
recently went to an EPA website (almost any will do).  AFter
about a minute the pretty pictures had still not full loaded.
I run an older computer for several reasons.  I don't want to
create more waste, I don't believe in planned obsolesence,
and when I create a project I want to see it work through the
eyes of my visitors.  Anyway, I complained to the webmaster.
Her response was, "Oh yes I have an old computer at home too,
it is so slow. Sorry I can't help you but that just the way
it is." (if you are interested I can send a copy of this
dialogue).  The point is that EPA websites unnecessarily
force the "need" for upgrading computers and net speeds when
all they have to do is back down from the glitz and create
text based workable websites.  Save the pictures for the ones
we need like Maps.  If the text is good and worth reading,
folks will read it.  How about thinking about bridging the
digital divide at the source.  I know this will sound like
heresy since the digital divide is such a cash cow for many
concernced, but if we really want to provide access, reduce
toxics, lets find a way to do this that makes use of what
we have.  Do we really need all the glitz?

Mike