Introduction

Hi,

Thank you for starting the forum.

The George A. Smathers Libraries at the University of Florida is a Federal Depository Library for the Southeast and Caribbean (http://depo.uflib.ufl.edu/). As Geographic Information Systems (GIS) coordinator for the Libraries, it is our mission to provide GIS assistance and available digital and hardcopy data. We provide service to the public, and the University Faculty, staff and students. Our GIS data collection includes data compiled at the Federal, State and local level.

My B.S. degree from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is in Ecology, Ethology and Evolution, and my M.S. from the University of Florida this December will be in Survey and Mapping. Prior to University of Florida employment, I was a GIS manager for a Florida based environmental consulting firm. Currently, I am involved in the Florida Biotic Information Consortium (http://susdl.fcla.edu/lfnh/related/fbic/FBICindex.html) to help establish guidelines for representing geographic locations in searchable library databases.

A recent Government Printing Office decision to limit distribution of government documents to depository libraries is influencing our decisions on the types of public services we provide. This forum will assist the library in developing future public services.

Thanks again,

Joe Aufmuth
GIS Coordinator
University of Florida