Re: Questioning ourselves

Gwen Solomon (gwen@gsn.org)
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 09:11:20 -0800

Laurie asks a good question and I see that there are a few answers. I'd
like to consider this from another perspective (the practitioner rather
than the PI) and look at the goal of getting good practice, school reform,
etc. into the schools.

So the questions I'd ask are:

How do we disseminate the impact of what we've done (and learned)
effectively to teachers and communities?

How do we get the teachers and communities who are involved in our projects
to share how it has made a difference for them (and their students,
schools, communities, et.al) so that others can learn from those who are
directly affecting students?

Gwen
------------

At 07:44 PM 3/30/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Maybe another way to gain some insight into dissemination needs (and
>obstacles) is to think about what you did to gather information as you
>were developing your NIE projects.
>	Did you do any research?
>	Where did you go to get information on what others were doing?
>	Did you consciously build on the successes of others?
>	Did you look in your immediate area? your state, the nation?
>	What information would have made your research easier?
>	What is useful information?
>
>I think the last question is the most important. When you researched other
>projects or now when you disseminate information about your own project do
>you focus on identifying the key processes or fundamental principals that
>worked for you?  Although different in every individual implementation,
>these key elements can and should provide a strong foundation for the
>success of others.
>
>Laurie

Gwen Solomon, Director
The Well Connected Educator