Women and Minorities

RE: Civic equality in retirement?

<<<<
For example, should all recipients
who have been citizens a minimum number of years receive the same
cash benefit per month?  If we retain a substantially non-privatized,
pay-as-you-go system, should past earnings really decide one's
benefits, or is that an insult upon an injury?  This question is
offered as a device to elicit your deeper opinions.

All of my previous posts have indicated support for a privatized
Social Security system. Out of the options presented, I would find
one solution (which doesn't typically get discussed) as a preferable
way to fix this program long term.

This option is: turn the program into a fully means tested social
welfare program. My main concern with the current program is that
the politicians are promising benefits for everyone regardless
of need. These benefits also increase relative to the amount
of lifetime earnings.

It's clear that this program will not be able to pay everyone
in the future. The numbers don't lie. Either some people get
a cut or taxes need to be raised dramatically on future
workers.

If the politicians just came out and said, "We can't pay you a
benefit because we won't have enough money. You won't need
the money, so we are going to take your benefit away.", it would
make the program far more credible that it currently is. At
least this response would be honest.

The problem is no one is facing up to the time bomb.

Michael