Women and Minorities

Questions to ask

Maureen West asked for comments about current proposals.  I would like
to see us focus on what questions we should ask about each proposal.
These are the questions which enable us to understand how well the
proposal might address special needs of women. My questions are:

* What is the benefit to a survivor when one person in a retired
  married couple dies?  Does it permit the survivor to maintain the same
  living standard as the couple?

* Is equity provided between single and dual earning couples?

* What is the approach to benefits on divorce?  How does it work for a
  person divorced after a short time (ex. 7 years), a middle term (ex.
  15 years), and a long term (ex. 25 years)?

* Does it do anything to provide credit for years of caregiving, and
  how does it treat an individual who combined years of work and years
  of caregiving?

* How will it affect poverty rates?

* Does it provide adequate support for the most vulnerable?

* What is the approach to the management of disability and
  pre-retirement survivor benefits?

These are the issues in addition to questions of cost and broad
approaches to benefits and their levels which we need to ask in order
to understand how women (and men) in diverse family situations will be
affected by any proposal.

Anna Rappaport