Women and Minorities

Darcy Olsen's Cato plan is very bad

On several occasions in her postings to this discussion panelist Darcy Olsen
touts the Cato plan and how good it is for women.  At the Institute for
Women's Policy Research, we have looked at this plan carefully, and have
determined that it would be very bad for women.

For one thing the plan is full of misleading assumptions about women's lives.

For another thing, it is a much more extreme form of privatization than
Kolbe-Stenholm, for example, which the group has been discussing.  It
proposes pdivirting virtually all of the payroll tax into private accounts,
making the cost of transition enormous--why any generation would want to pay
for two retirement systems (one to pay current retirees and one to set up the
new accoutns) is beyond me.

And thirdly, most of the benefits to women in the Cato plan go to married
women and are based, not on privatization perse, but on "earnings sharing."
All monies earned by either the husband or the wife are split 50-50 and half
are dropped into each account.  In other words, if the wife stays home, the
husband's earnings are split equally with the wife, so she gets earnings
credits even when she's at home.  Soounds good, but it actually hurts some
women, relative ot the current system, and benefits others.  However, the
telling point is that CATO no longer supports this planned earnings sharing
(which makes privatization look good for women).   They have renounced it in
their more recent plans, saying it is too difficult to administer.  So I'm
afraid the supposed benefits of the Cato plan to women are not real.  And
anyway, men would be very unlikely to vote for earnings sharing.

In my view, women are better off with Social Security the way it is than with
very risky alternatives.

Heidi Hartmann