Just some thoughts

I have some thoughts that I would like to present for the forum,
though I am not sure they will add much to the debate.

I am not that far out of High School Myself, and so I am glad to
see Mr.  Hoyt with so strong views on these subjects.  So many of
those in my age group, and those in Mr. Hoyt's age group, simply
limp along through life, not caring one way or another about the
world around them, and how they can make a difference.

I happen to disagree with nearly all the points made, but honor
his right to make them, to his heart's content.  I am particularly
happy that he was mature enough to apologize for going overboard
on some of his comments, so far as they were too personal, and
borderline insulting.  If some of the other individuals involved
in this forum were to take a lesson from Mr. Hoyt, and be mature
enough to debate issues, and admit when they have erred, this
debate, and the entire Social Security reform debate will progress
much more quickly and smoothly.

Now, in regard to Mr. Hoyt's arguments, I disagree with the points
made about some inherent difference between the rich and the poor.
My parents have always been, and probably always will be, poor.
My father has been in manual labor for many years, by owning a
small carpet-cleaning business.  I am proud that he is, as Mr. Hoyt
says, a worker.  He works hard for everything he has, and I plan
on working hard for everything I have.  I will never be rich, but
I do not believe that there is an inherent difference.  I would
hazard a guess that everyone has met someone, been impressed with
their character, and found out later that, for all their simplicity
of life, were wealthy.  These are not some different species, that
looks upon those with less than them with abhorrence, but rather
simple folk who have worked all their lives, and have accumulated
wealth.  They do not wish ill on anyone else, but feel a right to
keep what their hard work has brought them.

I will admit readily that I do not know the basic premises of the
Labor Party, and that I am simply reacting to Mr. Hoyt's comments
in regard to them.  If my interpretations are correct, their beliefs
follow closely the Workers' parties in many countries, including
Brazil, where I spent two years of my life, living in some of the
most run- down apartments, living off very little.  The Workers'
party there appealed to the same desires which drove the Leninists
in early 20th century Russia, and in many other locations.  I
believe the desire is noble, to achieve equality, and prohibit a
few individuals from amassing the vast majority of wealth.  However,
I do not believe that social programs, or at the extreme, the
quasi-Marxist regime of the former Soviet Union, help those they
claim to.  A capitalist society, with certain controls in place by
a normally "hands-off" government, create a system where most
individuals are able to take care of themselves, and those who are
not, and are not taken care of by family or charities, have a
certain level of assistance to fall back upon.  That is an ideal
solution, I realize, but so is the ideal of equality for all.
There will never be equality for all as long as human nature is
one of self-interest.  The socialized programs that I have seen,
lived in, and experienced, have served 99% of the people, it is
true, but at an abysmally low level.  From that experience, and my
Mother's experiences with Canada's health care system, I have an
inherent mistrust of government that proports to solve every problem
for you.  I believe it was Thomas Jefferson who said: "A government
that has the power to give you everything you need; has the power
to take everything you have."

While all of this discussion seems distant from the stated title
of this forum:  "Why Reform Now," I believe all this discussion
shows why there must be some attempt at reform now.  Our country
is falling into the trap that so many countries have fallen into
in the past.  Cultural warfare, from all sides.  Young people are
bitter against seniors; workers against capitalists; masses against
government; etc.  This atmosphere of mistrust and anger must be
dealt with now, and the Social Security Program has long been one
major symbol of this conflict, as shown by its position as an
"untouchable" political issue, the infamous "third-rail."

I hope these comments have made someone think, one way or another,
and if that means that someone was angered by the comments, I am
sorry, but at least that means my comments were heard.

Yours,

Jeremy Kidd