RE: Citizen Question

First of all Congress is split almost down the middle between Republicans
and Democrats.  Most recognize that congressional Democrats would rather
have an issue to campaign with against the GOP, than actually finding a
bipartisan solution.

Further, the President is the one federal official who represents the entire
nation; every Member of Congress represents a specific or state.  It is the
President's unique position to be able to speak to the nation and unify them
using the bully pulpit.

In introducing our plan, Congressman Shaw and I have stuck our necks out;
already we have received harsh criticism from the Left and Right and been
all but dismissed by our colleagues in the minority.  Any bipartisan reform
of this magnitude requires a President's action.  As far as I am concerned,
I have done all I can to move this debate forward--the next move must be the
President's.

Bill Archer