RE: Citizen Question

I certainly agree that Members should work among ourselves to find common
ground.  More specifically, it is the responsibility of the House Committee
on Ways and Means to consider, debate, craft and amend all legislative
matters affecting the Social Security system.

However,  any measure which passes both the House and Senate requires a
Presidential signature to become law.  I think my colleagues would agree
that it would be wise to focus on areas of agreement between the
Republicans, Democrats and the Administration before proceeding further.

Again, I applaud both the Administration and Chairman Archer and
Representative Shaw for submitting proposals to move this dialogue forward.
There is absolutely no reason why Members cannot work in a bipartisan manner
on the future of Social Security.  I would certainly attend and take part in
any meetings that the Chairman of the Committee called to begin this
process.

Rep. Karen L. Thurman