RE: Don't Blow Away Social Security

>From: Javier Jimenez

>From: Javier Jimenez

You must not be familiar with the CATO Plan. Note their own explanation from their own website:

http://www.socialsecurity.org/studies/ssp8.html

Note that the entire $100 billion in additional savings and reduced consumption comes entirely from reduced gov't spending on other programs. If that was not present, the $100 billion the workers put into private investments would be entirely offset by the gov't borrowing the same amount from private capital markets to continue with the current SS payments and no net savings or reduced consumption would occur. And the $100 billion is totally unrelated to the SS reform. So what is really responsible for the increased investment savings? And even CATO tells you that this involves $100 billion in reduced consumption (in the form of gov't spending). Indeed, you cannot magically increase the savings rate overnight without reducing the consumption side of the equation.

>From: Javier Jimenez

Inflation does not depend on the printing of paper currency, it has to do with the amount of 'money' in circulation, a different concept. All the gov't bonds issued up to this point have represented real borrowing of real 'money' already in existence. These new bonds represent 'money' that has never really existed. There is where the inflationary pressures come in. At some point, those bonds have to be exchanged for real 'money' or something of value. At maturity, they have to represent some real 'value' that has never existed before. Will the holders be allowed to market (sell) their bonds? If so, that will have a major effect on the bond market. If not, how will those holders be able to protect themselves from inflation. Will the gov't provide an inflation escaltor clause? Paid for how?