RE: Impressive Consensus

During my two year plus tenure on the Ways and Means Committee, numerous
public hearings on Social Security reform have been held.  These hearings
have highlighted the main issues and options for reform, from the
experiences of foreign nations to the impact of changing specific policies
within the program.  I have heard the views of witnesses representing all
points on the ideological spectrum - from Reverend Jesse Jackson to Jose
Pinera, the architect of the privatized Chilean retirement system.

As with any initiative, the President's proposal and the recently unveiled
Archer/Shaw proposal should be fully vetted by Congress in a constructive
manner that encourages progress.   Of course, reasonable minds will differ
on the merits of specific policy recommendations.   However, the vetting
process will suffer if it turns into a partisan affair.

The public's desire for bipartisanship and common-sense solutions to our
nation's problems extends beyond the Social Security debate.  For example, I
have been working with Representative Thurman to enact legislation that
addresses the needs of the farmers and ranchers that live in our respective
Congressional Districts.  The spirit of cooperation forged between myself
and Representative Thurman on issues relating to farmers and ranchers must
now be duplicated by Congress and the President on Social Security reform.

The President had the foresight to use the bully-pulpit to put Social
Security reform at the forefront of the nation's agenda.  The Chairman of
the Committee with jurisdiction over Social Security in the U.S. House of
Representatives has countered with a credible proposal that addresses the
program's long-term solvency problems.  I am hopeful that the White House
will continue this useful dialogue in an honest manner that focuses on
policy and saving the program, not scoring political points for electoral
gain.

Rep. Kenny Hulshof