RE: Impressive Consensus

There can be no mistaking the wishes of the American public for fair,
bipartisan and open discussions of these plans.  I know my constituents do
not care much for partisan politics and simply want us to move ahead and
address the long term solvency of Social Security.

I think some of the issues that need to be further explored are budgetary
concerns, inefficiencies resulting from administrative costs, and equity
issues.  These are best addressed in full and open hearings in the House
Ways and Means Committee.

It is difficult to de-politicize this issue.  Nevertheless, our system of
government does provide a means for airing facts and opposing
viewpoints--the Committee hearing process.  I think my colleagues would
agree that both Democrats and Republicans learned a great deal during
hearings on the President's Social Security plan and FY2000 budget on
January 21, February 4, and February 23.   I look forward to similar
hearings on the Archer/Shaw proposal.

Rep. Karen L. Thurman