RE: Why should Social Security reform happen now? Response to Rep Becerra.

The Social Security system is designed to help Americans in their times of need -- when a spouse or parent dies, when a worker is injured, or when old age makes it more difficult to make ends meet. If we wait too long to strengthen Social Security, we will be forced to make painful decisions that may be unnecessarily harsh. However, the funding shortfall is sufficiently in the future that we can make modest changes and guard against adversely affecting the workers, children, seniors, widows, and others who have come to rely upon Social Security's promise to provide in their times of need.

We are living in a period of great economic prosperity with forecasts of large budget surpluses in the coming decades. It is imperative that we take advantage of this opportunity and follow the President's lead seeking to reduce the federal debt. By reducing the government debt we foster continued economic growth; we encourage increased national saving. Basically, it would be in our best interests to deal with future shortfalls in the Social Security system while we are in a position of economic strength.
<<<<<<<<<

Mr Becerra,

What you describe above, is a safety net more attune with welfare than the promised old age pension plan. You fail to mention how investment in the private markets would boost returns and security, and how individual participation by workers would boost freedom and pride. It is a very simple fact that people save and invest for their retirments for the financial freedom that they will have in their old age, so why not attempt to provide that security and freedom to all workers by allowing them all to save and invest as they see fit, within certain guidelines. I am certain as experience shows, here at home and abroad, that economic prosperity is brough about by common folks saving and investing, not by big government taxing and redistributing wealth. Sure we need to care for our needy, but do it honestly by using the general revenues and whatever rules there are in place for the use of such funds, and stop the illegal practice of income redistribution practiced by our Social Security System.

I say illegal because a Ponzi-scheme sanctioned by the government does not make it any more legal than Presidential approval of burglaries and bribery. I think that you are in a position to better help you constituents by fighting for their ability to participate in the best possible way to better their lives and build a safe and secure retirement away from government dependence. Perhaps, you can use this forum and opportunity to let them know that Privatization does not mean ad-hoc investment in stocks, but the use of professionals, mutual funds, bonds, bank CDs, and dollar cost averaging to achieve a better retirement and security for life than Social Security can ever offer.

I challenge you and the other Reps with similar views to come clean to their constituents with these facts!