RE: Will Congress answer the public's call for action?

The American people want Congress to address the future of Social Security now. They want us to act while our economy is strong. What they don't want are their leaders playing "political hot-potato" with Social Security.

I agree. The leaders must lead. Despite recent statements by some in the Congressional Leadership, we still have an opportunity to move forward.

The Ways and Means Committee is fortunate to have a strong leader in Chairman Archer. I know he is committed to achieving Social Security solvency for future generations. However, we must keep in mind that the party that controls Congress controls the legislative schedule. Rumors abound that a Republican Social Security proposal is in development and may be announced anytime now. I hope that once this measure is introduced, the Ways and Means Committee will hold hearings and develop some bipartisan consensus.

I wish to emphasize, however, that we should not destroy Social Security in the name of saving it. Current budget predictions suggest that, absent a plan, Social Security will be solvent until 2034. The Administration has submitted a plan to Congress which would strengthen Social Security by putting 77 percent of the surplus over the next 15 years into the Social Security and Medicare Trust Funds. According to preliminary analyses, this would ensure solvency until approximately 2059. We have a ways to go to ensure longer-term solvency, but we know this proposal would not hurt working Americans.

We should not legislate on Social Security for the sake of legislating. We must be constructive and remember why we want Social Security to be there for future generations.

Rep. Karen L. Thurman