RE: Why should Social Security reform happen now?

Rep. Karen L. Thurman:

<<<
Due to a responsible fiscal policy and a strong economy, we have
a unique window of opportunity to address the future of Social
Security. For the first time since 1969, Congress has a unified
budget surplus which we can apply to debt reduction.

There is no unified budget surplus until about 2001-2.
The government right now is still running deficits. As long
as the national debt continues to increase, the government is
not in surplus.

<<<
I believe Congress should, as soon as possible, enact legislation
which would allow us to invest the unified budget surplus into both
Social Security and Medicare. This would reduce our Nation's debt
and bolster our economy. In turn, it would strengthen our Social
Security system for all American working families.

The political-speak here is very misleading. Letting the government
keep more of MY money to pay down debt is not an investment.
Unless you think that giving government more money to spend
is an investment.

<<<
The 106th Congress has been handed the unique responsibility and
limited window of opportunity to ensure solvency of the Social
Security system. I believe that this can be accomplished, in part,
by strengthening and building upon the current Social Security
system.

The current system cannot be saved. Simply putting more and more
money into the system will not save it.

<<<<
I do not believe anyone in Congress knew we would have this
opportunity so soon. However, now that we do, let's not enact
radical reforms for the sake of reform itself. Instead, let's
remember why we want Social Security to be there for our children.
It is because it has been and, with minor modifications, could
continue to be a successful, progressive, guaranteed and portable
retirement program.

The current system is a failure. It cannot be sustained in its
current form. The debate about how to reform the system is very
simple. Rep. Thurman doesn't want you, the taxpayer, to assure your
own retirement with your own money. The Rep. wants to government
to force you to "invest" in a system with negative returns, no
assets, and no interest compounding.  It's time for a modern
retirement system. The current Social Security system needs to be
scrapped.

Michael Jones