Opening remarks

I welcome all of the participants throughout the country who are taking the time to express their views on the future of Social Security. I would also like to thank Chairman Archer and my other Ways and Means colleagues, Representatives Becerra and Hulshof, who are contributing to this extraordinary exchange of ideas.

My experience in the House of Representatives suggests that good people--people whom I deeply respect and admire--can and often will disagree on most anything. It is easy to see why this happens when there are 435 Members each representing roughly 600,000 constituents. The future of Social Security is no exception.

Nevertheless, despite ideological differences, we share a deep and unwavering respect for our country and also people. I know my colleagues want what is best not only for their constituents, but for the country as a whole.

This National Dialogue is about the exchange of ideas. It is also about challenging the beliefs of our Nation's leaders and, in turn, presenting your own views. I hope that we all learn a bit more from each other and that we all leave this dialogue with a more balanced perspective on what would be best for all Americans -- even those that cannot participate in this forum.

We know that because of long-term demographic trends, Social Security will need to be improved and strengthened at some point in the near future. However, I firmly believe that we should make certain that no change to Social Security will compromise the program's most essential features, including: a gender-neutral, risk-free, lifetime guaranteed benefit (with annual cost-of-living adjustments).

After this Dialogue, I hope that all of the participants remain in contact with their own Representatives and Senators as Congress continues to debate the future of Social Security.

I am delighted and honored to take part in this event, and I look forward to your comments.

Rep. Karen L. Thurman