RE: Social Security Roundtable

I was misinformed and thank James for the correct info. Some document or
another a couple of years ago claimed that members of the military,
government civil servants and members of congress were allowed to
contribute to an independent retirement system in lieu of SS, and that
many state and local governmental jurisdictions also were not included in
the SS trust fund network.  I have no idea how the enabling legislation
was produced so that the county I work for, as an example of many
jurisdictions, eliminated FICA, but still have doubts that all Federal
civilian employees hired since 1/1/84 contribute the approximate 15% FICA
amounts.

In respect to successful Federal programs, FDIC, SEC, SS, et al, my brush
was too broad, but major bank failures, very frequent scandals involving
stock markets/brokerages, and the predicted depletion of SS Trust Fund
monies, all occurring irrespective of these agencies, is perhaps
indicative of limited success.  My experience with 7 separate Federal
Regulatory agencies in the past two years, plus 3 in my home state, has
not engendered confidence in me, but anecdotally there are no doubt some
satisfied customers.  The ration between satisfied employees of the
agencies v. customers is the sticking point.

With regard to "turning the rascals out" at the polling place, the ideal
is great and I've never missed an opportunity to cast my ballot, but my
observation is that one, I didn't choose the names on the ballot, nor
would I presume to, and two, being re-elected is not equivalent to being
accountable for any policy that does not fit into the partisan debate on
the "right" side.

This forum has perhaps reached a substantial audience, but how many will
throw off their apathy and vote as a result?  The survey is in a sense a
vote, and I encourage agressive use of this tool of democracy.

I apologize for being totally off the mark about who participates fully
in feeding the kitty (SS Trust Fund).