RE: $10 Trillion and Life Expectancy

Dear Bill Larsen,

I You have obviously put a lot of effort into your analyses. Frankly, I just
do not have the time and energy and interest to review them thoroughly and
document all the mistakes and shortcomings. My comments are based on your
comments in the National Dialogue and on very quick glances at one or two of
your web-site references. If you are really interested in a full-scale
critique, I suggest you engage a reputable consulting actuarial firm to
conduct one for you.
2. You stated that retirement planning should be based on a period
considerably longer than life expectancy at retirement. When I questioned the
validity of this for Social Security and other pooled pension plans, your
answer was that you were talking about personal savings. This was not at all
clear from your original comment, made in the context of a dialogue about
Social Security.
3.  Similarly, you made a great point to the effect that increases in life
expectancies come in great part from lower child birth death rates, then
denied that you had implied this somehow affected the discussion of life
expectancies and Social Security planning.
4. Life expectancies at age 65 have increased substantially from 1940 to the
present, about six years for males and longer for females. This information
is available in many sources, census reports and the annual reports of the
Trustees of the OASDI Trust Funds.
5. I have no models I have personally constructed but I do accept the
integrity of the 75 year projections produced annually by the SSA actuaries
and experts. I believe they are as accurate as it is possible to produce. It
is not true that they have been consistently over-optimistic.  Actual
experience has shown them to be too optimistic at times and too pessimistic
at other times--the very nature of projections. The real question is --what
action should we take based on the best projections available?
6. You feel I should refute your calculations and conclusions. I think the
shoe is on the other foot--you should tell us wherein lie the errors in the
government projections.