$10 Trillion and Life Expectancy

Bill Larsen,

This is in response to your latest response.  I think it is probably
impossible for us to come to agreement on almost anything--from my viewpoint
almost all of your conclusions are based on deeply flawed analysis coupled
with incorrect facts.  I would like to comment on one point. You state that
retirement planning should not be based on the average life expectancy at
retirement age but on a much larger number, for the sake of prudence and
safety. Pension plans, annuities sold by insurance companies, and Social
Security all involve pooling together large groups of persons in order to
provide lifetime income to all participants. Such plans can safely rely on
averages. The extra costs of income to those who live beyond the average
lifetime is offset by the reduced costs to those who die before the average
age at death. In statistical theory, this is referred to as the law of large
numbers.

Most of your comments imply that the government actuaries are somehow
distorting the true facts in order to advance some sinister and evil agenda.
I who am personally acquainted with some of these men and women believe in
their professional skill and integrity. Actuaries in private practice who
advocate different policies have never attacked the professional integrity of
the civil service actuaries.