RE: Taxing Benefits

>From: Richard Arsinow

>Exactly. But your argument (high marginal rates) is not an argument against taxing SS benefits, only an argument against a 'means-tested' tax benefit, which produces those high marginal rates as it is phased out. And I also pointed out that those seniors in that high marginal rate bracket would probably be opposed to merely eliminating that 'means tested' break, which they partially benefit from.

Obviously the latter. Have no idea why you would assume the first.

I am not 'justifying' the 85% figure, I was merely answering your question as to where it came from. Indeed, it would probably be possible to allow each person SS tax exemptions based on after tax 'contributions'. The SSA already keeps track of those FICA taxes paid, and could merely add another field to track deductions taken on income tax returns. Whether people would want another such complication to income taxes is another matter. And, obviously, it would greatly reduce the govt's take from the SS tax.