Explain Social Security plans

Bob Rosenblatt

put very large sums from general into the Social Security Trust Fund, I have
two comments.  First, as a device  to continue the  present modified
pay-as-you go structure, the proposals are silly, dangerously misleading and
purely politically inspired. They would introduce for the first time the
concept of financing Social Security from general revenues, a step which is
not only completely unnecessary at this time but one which removes the
discipline of keeping benefits within OASDI taxes. Besides that, neither
proposal does the complete job of removing the 2.1% shortfall of projected
taxes as compared to benefits. As a device for paying the transition costs
from modified pay-as-you-go to personal accounts, they also fall far short.
Our leaders should put forward serious and complete proposals instead of
playing silly political games.