RE: Just a thought...

>From: Michael Jones

>From James:

them around doesn't help. For every one of those dollars that is
not used to soak up Federal deficits,

>From Michael:

the government actually needs to spend all the money that is
being used by the surplus FICA taxes.

Actually, I am not. If you had bothered to read and / or quote the next line, you would find:

That is what indeed what we will have this year with our $70 billion dollar 'surplus' due to the SS excess receipts. That $70 billion will be used to 'buy up' maturing public gov't debt, freeing that $70 billion of investment capital to seek other investments i.e. private market investments. If we were to just reduce FICA taxes to the amount required to pay current benefits, there would be a net reduction of national savings.

Not at all. It is merely a political reality that cutting spending is much more difficult than cutting taxes. What the last two major income tax increases really did was to help eliminate the deficit. If you spend more than you collect in taxes, you will have a deficit, regardless of whether the spending was 'worthwhile' or not.

to balance the budget.

Merely taking away the tax revenue does not do that. We have the lesson from the early 80's to show that. You keep claiming that the less money the politicians have, the less they will spend. But you have cited not a single statistic to support it. All the evidence says otherwise.