RE: The Big Picture

It is important to distinguish between that portion of the unified federal
budget surplus that is attributable to FICA taxes collected in excess of
benefits paid and the non-Social Security surplus. The former should be
used to ease the transition to a more funded Social Security system. Social
Security should compete with other budget priorities for the latter, should
it eventually appear.

I think there is a substantive difference between proposals that would use
the surplus to fund new benefit obligations (Archer/Shaw and President
Clinton's USA accounts) and those that would use the surplus to help ease
the transition to a system where some of the current payroll tax is
reallocated to individual accounts. (The surplus would be used to continue
to meet benefit promises to current retirees by replacing the reallocated
payroll tax income that would no longer be available for that purpose.) I
admit that proposals that reallocate payroll taxes will require cuts in
future guaranteed benefits, but these will be replaced by the assets
accumulated in the individual accounts. In contrast, proposals that would
create new benefit entitlements out of projected surpluses, without any
offsetting reduction in guaranteed benefits, strike me as irresponsible. We
should not make our problem worse.

Ann Combs
William M. Mercer