RE: Trust Fund cynicism - right mood, wrong target

>From: "Steven H. Johnson"

I agree with your point that the SS Trust Fund is real. I have been fighting that battle myself. But I am frankly puzzled by your assertion that the Congress is 'phony' or 'lying'. Your own example demonstrates that the trust fund is indeed everything it should be. It was private economists in the early '80's who convinced Congress, in a very public debate, that this was the proper way to account for gov't surpluses or deficits. Indeed, the current 'surplus' indicates how much money the gov't will be ADDING to the capital markets this year.

Certainly there is something to be said for the alternate accounting. No matter which method is used, the reality will be (and has been) fully disclosed in the accounting. It always has been for those who are truly interested. The people who allege that if we only knew that we really had a 'deficit' this year, we wouldn't have spent as much, need to get a grasp on reality. For the last 30 years, we have spent money we didn't have, sometimes $300 billions worth in a year.

I am skeptical of anybody who tries to make a scapegoat out of the politicians on this matter. We have had many elections since this decision was made. Plenty of time for the people to have 'showed' the Congress that this is not what they wanted. It doesn't seem to have been an issue that mattered to anybody. There was no real reason for the Congress to 'lie' about anything. The money in the trust fund is all there. If the attitude of the masses was to leave all the minor accounting details to the politicians and beauracrats, as long as everthing was accounted for properly, then they got their wish. If they want to change their minds now, they can't blame the Congress.

If people are not capable of understanding a simple matter like this (and I believe they ARE), then there can be little hope for an intelligent discussion of the real issues surrounding SS reform.