Comment About Ron Gebhardtsbauer's Position Paper

Ron

I think your paper makes several excellent points.

Many posters are implying that their solution is quick and painless. Usually this just means that they are hiding all the uncomfortable details.

Although many think that this is impossible or 'dangerous' for the gov't to do, it is indeed already doing so without the problems many claim we will have. It is not a panacea, but could be useful in some limited way in some plans.

Look at the abuse we have in Medicaid nursing home benefits. Not saying means-testing can't be part of the solution, but it brings along a whole bunch of administrative headaches and disincentives.

We almost need to keep the option for a retirement in the early sixties for some people. And we can't completely overlook how this whole issue interacts with the issue of medical care.