RE: Question on Charity

	Relying on charity and family to provide support to the retiree on a
continuing basis is just a cop-out.  Its nice to say and sounds good but in
reality neither the family nor charities have the financial means to support
everyone.  That point was made 20 years ago when Ronnie Reagan wanted to
dismantle  government programs --he said charities would automatically  step
in and fill the void.  They said they didn't have the resources.
Fortunately Reagan didn't get his way.

	I would hope any new system developed would eliminate the
redistributive effects of the current system...its basically a welfare
system.  People should be encouraged if not forced to save for their
retirement.  If they did so on a continuing basis over their working years
through IRAs, 401Ks, and other programs, they would not be poor in
retirement.  Unfortunately the American people want a cheap and easy way
out--they want (and expect) the government to take care of them.  They hate
to save and would rather blow every last dollar they have on current
consumption.  Our government has encouraged that by  providing generous
Social Security benefits.. Only problem is that now the system is bankrupt.

	People wont starve..there's always welfare or some government
hand-out for them.