Re: Question on Charity

Response as follows:

In a message dated 6/3/99 3:12:29 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
bob@giotto.info-ren.org writes:

<< 		QUESTION ON CHARITY

 Many of those advocating privatization have argued that both charity
 and family should play a greater role in a reformed Social Security
 system.

 1. Do you favor a privatized system which eliminates the current
 system's redistributive benefits formula (which gives relatively
 higher benefits to lower-income people)? Yes I do support this

 2. Under the present system or some of the proposed alternatives,
 will some people be forced to choose between food, lodging or
 medicine in their daily budgets?

      People are already being forced to chose between food and
      medicine in many cases, and the problem will only continue
      to get worse as there are less and workers to pay into the
      system.

 3. Will charitable organizations be able to fill the gap between
 the needs of the poorest sector of the population and the benefits
 provided by government programs?  Should this be the solution to
 this problem?

      Charity and volunteerism in America is droping at an alarming
      rate. There aren't enough such organizations to support all
      those in need as is. How can we expect them to help the ever
      growing senior citizen population in the years to come?

 Bob Carlitz, moderator
 Information Renaissance