Values: Individualism and Collectivism

I really like the analysis of John Mowen. He is absolutely right!
The Social Security system was designed at a time when collectivism
was essential to deal with the crisis of the 30's. Gradually, we
have built a system of private pensions second to none: 401(k) and
403(b)(non-profit institutions), IRA's, Roth IRA's etc. Social
Security has remained structurally unchanged because politicians
found it to their advantage to use the existing system to be popular
with the powerful senior lobbies.

So: 1) individualism is represented by the trillions of private
pensions; 2) collectivism is represented by a system that is slowly
becoming unable to cope with the needs of limited income workers.
Government is essential to deal with the needs of low-income
retirees, disabled and worker's survivors, but Social Security must
be modified to allow the middle-class to built a better retirement
system.  For details see my message Wednesday 21, Re:RE:Values.