Legal status of Social Security benefits

The Supreme Court has apparently determined that Social Security
 is not a right, but is a benefit that can be taken away at any
time.  If this is true, I believe that one of the first things
Congress must do is to pass legislation making it a right.  After
all, we have paid into the system for many years (in my own case,
 for over 58 years), fully believing that we had a right to the
benefits.  There should be little risk in now making it a right
because, if Congress were to suddenly decide to terminate the
 program without adequate protection for present and future
 retirees, we would probably see an entirely new slate of
Senators and Representatives in Congress after the next election
(maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing to have happen).