RE: Chronic Disability

-------------------------------------

> Means test for tax purposes is a genuine hardship as well.   On top
> of this, the means test is arbitrary, with those setting the rules
> seeming to have little understanding of cost of living in the
> working middle class, or are we "rich" at $45,000 per year, especially
> when we may have sold our house and are battling to pay off debts
> incurred while trying to keep going after a medical disaster,
> compounded by loss of income, increased work load on the healthy
> family member(s) and increased costs, and debt, caused by the
> disabling condition itself.

------------------------------------

In any "real" change process there are going to be some people who
feel short-changed and, in actuality, may be.  The overrinding
concern is making SS fisically viable with as much "fairness"
(however concieved) as possible.  People who have been enjoying SS
income which has far exceeded that which they have put-in plus
major interest returns, have to expect some truncation.  (If, they
have other substanial retirement income.)  You can't accomplish
fiscal viability and future solvency without taking something from
someone.  Now, from what group or groups does "justice" however
conceived, dictate that it be taken from?  I say that, although
nothing will turn-out to be perfect, some sort of "means testing",
at least for monies BEYOND that put-in plus reasonable interest,
is one of the "fairer" ways.

John_Baughman@everett.wednet.edu