Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness

President Clinton's plan to save SS includes creating Universal
Savings Accounts. This is a bad idea and it will not work. For one
reason, the government would have control, not the Individual.

There are some excellent ideas being floated about these days about
how to restructure SS. One of these is presented by the Cato
Institute and can be reviewed at the URL of:

http://www.socialsecurity.org/alternative.html

Of the many ideas I have read over the past year or so on this
subject, I have not seen one better. It covers all the bases.

Americans must realize that our government has slowly but surely
gotten out of whack. All politicians need to go back and read the
Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United
States of America. If they would do this, over and over and over,
until it sinks in - then, maybe they will get it.

"Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers
from the consent of the governed."

Remember, we are born with our rights and no one has rights superior
to those of anyone else. We do not get these rights from government
- indeed, whatever rights or powers government has come from us,
from the "consent of the governed".

We have the right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness -
to live our lives as we wish - provided only that we respect the
equal rights of others to do the same. The powers government may
need must be derived from our consent if they are to be just.

This country was started by overthrowing an oppressive English rule
and our founding fathers were not about to reimpose oppression on
themselves.

Today's politicians and government lifers need to go back and read
what these intelligent men wrote in the beginning. The problems we
now face with Social Security are only the tip of the iceberg.

Maybe Americans will finally come to their senses and realize that
the government should not be in charge of their happiness and
control their liberty.

Wake up America!

Richard Arnold