Investing in Stocks

DAILY SUMMARY May 20

Title: Daily Summary

Daily Summary

Thursday, May 20

Panelists' Comments:

Carolyn Weaver ("Discussion Questions") posed two questions for the forum:

--What would happen if we had another Great Depression or at least another "rotten period" for the stock market like in the 70s. What a system of personal accounts collapse? How can you guarantee people they won't end up with nothing?

-- Even if we adopt personal accounts, we should invest the reserve funds in the Trust Funds in securities other than low-yielding government bonds. Describe how the government can invest in a neutral way, without any political interference?

-- Responses to public comments: Commenters yesterday noted that the "replacement rates" (retirement benefits to pre-retirement income) for a personal stock investing program during periods of poor stock market performance are still equal to or greater than the rates under the current Social Security program (as calculated in the Burtless study cited by Reischauer). Weaver stated further that the rates under the Social Security program cannot be maintained in the future with the current level of payroll taxes. If the nation sticks with pay-as-you-go financing, benefit levels and replacement rates will have to be reduced significantly to close the long-range deficit.

Public Comments from Thursday, May 20

Other comments: