Investing in Stocks

My second shot

MY SECOND SHOT--by Carolyn L. Weaver

Wow--great discussion!  Given the level of interest and knowledge already
conveyed, I can see that Bob Reischauer and I are going to have our hands
full trying to keep the discussion focussed on investing in the stock market.
 (By the way, that was a great comment, Michael Jones, about how our topic
should be titled "investing in private markets," not "investing in stocks."
With private accounts, individuals would--unless prohibited by
government--naturally invest in stocks and bonds, with the mix varying over
their lifetimes as they get older and their incomes and other resources, as
well as their needs, change.)

Let me respond to a couple of points made by Bob in his "second shot."

First of all, on the suggestion that personal accounts would place "an
unacceptable risk on some individuals who are ill prepared to bear this
risk," one does have to ask, "compared to what?"  We all agree that investing
involves financial risks.  With personal accounts, individuals can adjust
their holdings of stocks and bonds or modify the kind of stock or bond funds
they hold so as to adjust the amount of risk they take.  With centralized
investment, where surplus receipts are invested directly in the stock market,
the government--not individual workers--decides how much risk to take.  This
risk is then imposed on workers.  Low-income workers are likely to find this
arrangement most burdensome because they have few financial resources with
which to buffer unanticipated changes in taxes or benefits.

Further, as noted by a couple of participants, there are financial risks with
private investment and other kinds of risks with the status quo--chief among
them solvency risks.  Solvency risks in a system that is politically
determined, like social security, imply political risk.  While much is known
about managing financial risks, how does one manage or hedge against
political risks?  These risks can be large, as evidenced by the size of the
benefit cuts--and the resulting "wealth" losses--for young workers as a
result of social security financing bills passed in 1977 and 1983.  Who knows
what the future holds for social security, as currently designed, with the
long-term economic and demographic outlook projected to be much less
favorable than in decades passed?

Here I must digress and respond to Gerald Leonard's use of the word
"GUARANTEED" future income.  Social security benefits are not now and never
have been guaranteed.  Workers and retirees have no claim to a particular
level of benefits in the future, independent of the law in effect in the
future.  Future benefits are not secured by real assets or by property
rights.  Workers and retirees have promises of future benefits that may or
may not be fulfilled.

There is also the issue of safety nets, which was raised by Walter Hart.  The
risk workers ultimately bear under a system of personal accounts depends not
just on investment choices and performance but also on the size of the
personal accounts and the nature of the remaining social security system.  In
a number of proposals being discussed on Capitol Hill, personal accounts
would be funded with only 2% of earnings, leaving in place a large social
security system.  In more ambitious proposals, where personal accounts
ultimately replace the retirement program, there is always a federal safety
net left if place.  At a minimum, there would be the Supplemental Security
Income program that now exists.  SSI provides a means-tested benefit for the
elderly poor.  Proposals generally create a new safety net to supplement SSI.
 These safety nets are designed to protect workers who retire with inadequate
resources due to any number of reasons, including unemployment, low wages,
and poor investment performance.

The reference to people "ill equipped" to handle risk may raise in some
people's minds a concern that personal accounts would somehow involve today's
social security recipients, especially those who are very old and may have
little or no experience with investing.  They would not.  Personal accounts
would be established only for working-aged Americans.  Ironically, it is
centralized investment--which attempts to use the stock market as a new
revenue source for the trust funds--that would expose older Americans to
unknown risks.

Hats off to Andre Dermant, Javier Jimenez, Mr. Jones, and Mr. Hart for their
observations about risks.

Second, on the issue of administrative costs, let me try to clear up some
confusions.  Bob Reischauer says that big private companies do not manage
their funds cheaper than the federal government could do under a scheme of
collective investment.  The problem with this statement is that proponents of
centralized investment, including Bob, do not argue for letting the
government manage the funds; they argue for letting big private companies do
it.  Private companies could manage social security's funds at a lower cost
than they charge for many mutual funds for any number of reasons, not least
of which is that they would undoubtedly employ passive investment strategies.
(Proponents of centralized investment, aware of the concern that investment
decisions will be politicized, are quick to suggest that investments should
be passively managed through index funds).  As observed by Mr. Jones, the
cost of a good equity index fund is much lower than the 100 basis point
figure cited by Bob.

Also, if I understood him correctly, Ridgeway was referring to the cost of
administering our current social security system, not the cost of
administering a centrally invested fund.  Administering our current system
means mainly deciding eligibility, paying benefits, and answering a lot of
phone calls.  There is no investment function at all--at least not one the
Social Security Administration is involved with.  And there is nothing
sophisticated about "investing" in special issue government bonds--Treasury
does this largely on automatic pilot.  In 1998, social security's
administrative costs were $3.5 billion, which was about 1% of total benefit
payments of $375 billion.

And Ridgeway is quite right that administrative costs for federal agencies
are notoriously understated.  They do not provide a measure of economic costs
or of opportunities foregone.  Measured administrative costs ignore many
important components of costs, including even costs incurred on behalf of an
agency by other federal agencies.

Of course, all this talk about administrative costs obscures the more
important issue, which is the net benefit--or rate of return net of
costs--that workers can expect to enjoy under a system of private investment
accounts.  This is what's meaningful when considering the alternative--a
patched up pay-as-you-go system, possibly with projected trust-fund income
increased by stock market investment.

Carolyn Weaver