Investing in Stocks

RE: Opening statement--investment in stocks, bonds etc

Your comments are a bit emotional, but as with much else in this "debate", not entirely without merit.

Yes, investments do go up as well as down, and major questions would surround not only who administers the investments but what happens to the losses, when they occur (as they will).

Social Security is not currently an investment program. What it does, effectively, is to provide retirement (and other) security to many who would not otherwise have it. This can continue to be done within the scope of a continuing tax administered much like the current one, but with benefits based on need.

Most of us would prefer doing better in retirement than SS can provide. We should do so for ourselves, no new programs, thanks!

That to me is privatization, and a good thing,too, in freeing many of us from thinking we're getting something from the government when we don't need it and could do much better by self reliance.

Mm