Thank you to Panelists and Participants

To everyone:

    As this panel finishes, I want to take this opportunity in my last message
to thank each of you who participated.  Many of the participants asked tough and
challenging questions, but remained focused on finding a constructive solution
to the challenge of meeting Social Security's difficulties.

    I want to be certain to take this opportunity to thank my fellow panelists
as well.  Although I have worked closely with several of you in developing ideas
and recommendations, I want to extend this thanks as well to those of you who
may disagree with me on specific policy recommendations.  The public sees too
much of public servants blaming each other for our national challenges, instead
of stepping forward with solutions.  I want to be certain that I express my
congratulations and appreciation to each of you for coming forward with a
proposal, even where we disagree.

    I know for a fact that many of the offices represented on this panel have
been working earnestly even in the last few days to obtain the final assurances
that their proposals would achieve the desired end of actuarial solvency as well
as other important objectives.  I believe the public to be well served by this
effort, and also by this public airing of policy disagreements.  Given the
importance of this issue, more legislators should emulate your diligence.

    Thank you as well, Ron Gebhartsbauer, ADSS, and Information Renaissance, for
your hard work to make this forum a success.

    Thank you again.

    Senator Judd Gregg