Response to Reed Davis

Thank you for your input and ideas on the need to be forthright with
respect to Social Security's financing and future costs.

I share your concerns in this regard, for unfortunately there is far
too much misunderstanding about Social Security's financing and the
ramifications on the well-being of various demographic groups and
birth cohorts.  As can plainly be seen from the exchanges contained
within this forum, there is considerable divergences of reporting
among public officials, Social Security policy analysts and concerned
citizens over the true extent of the program's financing problems, as
well as over the methods and assumptions that analysts use in
projecting future costs of the program.  This debate, while at times
can be esoteric, has important implications for our perception of the
magnitude of the financing problem that Social Security faces and
possibly for what solution we ultimately pursue.

Your suggestions about instituting explicit divisions among Social
Security's finances for its various facets is an interesting one, and
may be one part of more clearly separating the adequacy and equity
elements of the program than current law does.  I firmly believe that
if more Americans were to be able to view the program in terms of the
amount of redistribution that occurs, who pays what and who receives
what, and the overall fairness of the system, there would be far more
agreement than disagreement on many of these issues.

And your point about more fully distinguishing Social Security's
disability insurance program and retirement program is well taken.  As
has been remarked before in this forum, there are considerable
differences between disability insurance (and survivor, and juvenile
dependent insurance) and old-age (retirement) insurance.
For disability, the type of insurance it provides is essentially a
term insurance.  As in the case of buying fire insurance for one's
house, it is possible to determine within reasonable probability the
chances of a worker dying and leaving dependents or becoming disabled.
We should be concerned in this respect that individuals are getting
actuarial value for the cost of the insurance.
With regard to retirement benefits, however, we should be concerned
with the accrual of wealth in the form of Social Security benefits
during a worker's career and the rate of return on that wealth
accumulation.  There is certainly concern that workers might have an
unfortunate labor force experience, and this again might be likened
more to term insurance.  But we should not be turning over to Social
Security the task of trying to protect workers from the very real
necessity to save for retirement.  If Social Security taxes were low
enough to allow workers to save sufficiently for their retirement, we
may not be having this discussion.  But as we know Social Security
taxes are not low, and without structural reform and a component of
advance-funding, they will continue to get higher, thereby further
crowding out the ability of most low- and moderate-wage Americans to
save for retirement.  The size of the lifetime Social Security taxes
workers make for their benefits, plus the widespread availability of
alternative vehicles for accumulating retirement savings (even through
government bonds!) invite comparisons to alternative, more efficient
and fairer mechanisms for accumulating retirement wealth.

I am hopeful that our bipartisan process can pay special attention to
the notion that any long-term reform should treat all demographic
groups and birth cohorts in a roughly comparable way.  This issue is
too many times lost in our reform discussion.  I am very mindful of
it, and your interest in national debt levels under various reform
plans is one useful barometer in assessing this criterion.

I have not yet received detailed analysis from either SSA or CBO on
the debt level effects of my reform proposal, but will be glad to
provide them to you when they become available.

Again, thank you for your questions and comments.

        Senator Rick Santorum