RE: No Support for Benefit Cuts

Senator Gregg and Congressman Kolbe have responded to the specific
issues raised by Congressman Nadler our plans, but I wanted to
add one broader point.  The theme of many of my comments has been
the tradeoffs that are required.  Congressman Nadler talked about
the tough choices under our plan, but did not mention the consequences
of ducking those tough choices and sweeping them under the rug.
Under current law, we will have to come up with $7 trillion from
the rest of the budget between 2014 through 2034 to meet obligations
to the Social Security trust fund.  By 2030, we will have to cut
all other government programs by 16%.  The plan that Congressman
Nadler has put forward would actually create further liabilities
on general revenues to avoid tough choices within Social Security.
That is a legitimate approach, but we should acknowledge that he
is able to avoid making tough choices within Social Security
by shifting costs to the rest of the budget, which will take money
away from other Democratic priorities.

Congressman Stenholm