SS reform, politics and conflicts -- Colin O'Brien

Thank you for your question, Colin.

I think the answer to your question on collective government
investment in private equities and the potential for political
influence can be summed up in the words of The Honorable Daniel
Patrick Moynihan (D-NY), one of Social Security's foremost experts and
defenders (and who, also, has endorsed a personal account reform
approach).  Last year in an interview Senator Moynihan said in effect,
"We [politicians] can't be trusted with that -- don't give us that
temptation."

Furthermore, Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan has also endorsed
this view against government ownership and control of private
equities.  In a Senate Budget Committee hearing last year Mr.
Greenspan remarked:

"... I think [government ownership of private equities] is very
dangerous. ... I know there are those who believe it can be insulated
from the political process, ... I have been around long enough to
realize that that is just not credible and not possible.  Somewhere
along the line, that breach will be broken."

I would think I speak for most advocates of Social Security reform with
personal accounts that we are united in our opposition to collective
government control and ownership of private U.S. companies.
It is interesting to note, however, that this is not a Republican or
Democratic issue, either.  Earlier this year the U.S. Senate passed a
resolution opposing government investment in private financial markets
by a margin of 99-0.  That's about as strong a bipartisan vote against
government investment that you can get.

I do not believe that effective firewalls could prevent politics from
entering into investment decisions by the government.  Would the
defenders of government investment explain whether or not they would
allow government investment in tobacco stocks?  In non-union
companies?  In companies that do not offer health insurance?  In
companies that make guns?  The list is boundless.

Furthermore, how would government go about reconciling its current
role as regulator of business in the interest of public welfare and
its new one of fiduciary trying to garner the highest return to Social
Security program participants?  Simply put, it could not.  There would
be a severe conflict of interest if, for example, the government were
to be investing Social Security funds in the Microsoft Corporation
while simultaneously investigating the company for antitrust
violations.

One last point on government investment bears mentioning, though
I believe that this was raised earlier by Senator Gregg and
Congressman Kolbe.  It should be noted that when Social Security
taxes were first collected in 1937, the system's administrative
costs were 10 times what they are today.  That is to be expected
at the beginning of a new administrative structure.  But the costs
came down over time.  Also, much of Social Security's administrative
costs are born by employers and are not easily apparent to the
public.  Social Security uses public (i.e., non-taxed) buildings
and land.  The government uses competitive bidding to install
computer systems, enjoys subsidized mail and telephone services,
and depreciation and fringe benefits do not affect Social Security's
annual budget.  These are not "free" services -- the taxpayers pay
for them even though it is not readily apparent.

Although moderately higher costs are associated with a partially
funded Social Security system with personal accounts, they can be
ascribed to the additional services that are provided:  Not only do
these costs cover collection and distribution of funds -- which
current Social Security does -- they also pay for the investment
services of government-approved money managers to invest and grow
savings.  Most workers are willing to pay a portion of their
earnings to money managers who provide them with higher returns.  If
this trade-off were not worthwhile, America's investment industry
would not exist.

With economies of scale, most experts predict administrative costs
under a mature partially funded Social Security system with personal
accounts to be less than 1 percent.  To be evaluated fairly, the two
systems should be compared in terms of maximizing net returns after
administrative costs, not minimizing administrative costs
themselves.  Seen in this proper light, strengthening Social
Security through advanced-funding with personal accounts is
preferable to both government investment and the status quo.

Again, thank you for your question.

Senator Rick Santorum