Final thoughts/don't forget facilities

On the primary questions posed to the group, I can't think of anything to the comments of many participants, particularly Linda Rambler, Howard Fox, Tom Hughes and Jodi Perras. Do what they suggest and you should be in good shape.

One point I have not seen raised before, but which should NOT be forgotten, is that EPA, states, even local governments are not the original source of information about facilities' performance -- the facilities are. Governments, especially local ones, and libraries, should not hesitate to ask facilities for information about themselves and their performance. Member companies of the American Chemistry Council all are obligated to engage their plant communities in dialogue about their performance and the communities' information needs. Traditionally, this outreach has predominantly taken the form of community advisory panels, but it varies from plant to plant, has begun to migrate to the web through our facility-specific web site, ChemicalGuide.com. Other industries ought to do likewise.

I think there is often an assumption that plants will only stonewall and either refuse to provide information, or provide only PR fluff. Well, test that assumption. Contact plant managers and corporate external relations people and ask for the information you're seeking. There's more potential here than many people think.