RE: Question E 9/27/00.....Native American View

Tom,

In answer to your question about primary sources of information and reference, we use everything we can! But maybe I can add a little further detail.

1) Printed matter (of course) is available although some of it is out-of-date by the time it is printed (gov't docs). EPA, DOE, BIA, etc. are sources for pertinent info. Copies of data, pubs, educational games, etc. are also obtained on CD, which are usually more current that hard copy. Libraries are used and are especially important for local historical docs (archived materials).

2) Networking is very important for information and it is very, very current. By networking I mean sharing of info, copies, samples, etc. between tribes, agencies, local agencies, and private industry (sometimes). This is undertaken by phone, email, fax, snail-mail, and in person and many times yields the latest info or developments. This also yields direct input into current items.

3) The internet isn't only a reference tool, but a dynamic link between indigenous peoples worldwide. You might check out a couple of web sites to see what I mean. They are:
http://www.alphacdc.com/alpha/ailinks.html (Alpha Institute's Links page) and http://www.alphacdc.com/ien/subject.html (Indigenous Environmental Network). Indigenous peoples are learning to use this dynamic tool (the internet) and to utilize it as fully as possible for the dissemination of information. There aren't enough skilled computer/internet users yet, but the number is growing fast.

Hope this answers your question.
Dave