RE: librarians as advocates for common sense environmental information

Not only should they be able to see it, I'm sure many do.  In fact,
I wouldn't be surprised if management at EPA actually said "not
yet, we've got to focus on (the issue of the day)" rather than "no"
when similar ideas have been discussed before.  In an ideal world
I would like to see aggressive action, but you are correct - the
cost of massive and rapid reform politically and financially is
probably too great to overcome.  But that doesn't mean they can't
do something incrimental to implement change over time, building
on their successes.  This type of change requires a political crisis
(which we don't have) or strategically planned incremental steps
with vision and patience.

Small steps can be taken that lead to successful change.  I am an
experienced change agent in government and I have seen it done well
(and I have seen a few massacres).  I do not hold a MLS, although
I am a full member of ALA and SLA, rather my Masters is in Public
Policy and Management and I have worked with others successfully
to bring about change in environmental protection at the state and
national level.  I hope to lay out some steps that I think EPA
management can take in incremental fashion to bring about successful
change in the thread on todays question: How can EPA and its partners
support libraries in building capacity?  I am hopeful that others
will lay out their ideas as well.

This should link you over to that discussion if you are interested.
http://www.info-ren.org/network-democracy/epa/archive/msg00509.html